Landlord's Contents Insurance

Cover for Contents

Getting contents insurance is advisable as your tenants’ deposits may not be enough to pay for any damage occurring. If the property is unfurnished there is no need to take out full contents insurance – only get cover for damage to items such as floor coverings, curtains and any electrical appliances that come with the property. This could range from £5,000 to £15,000-worth of cover. Your tenants should take out their own insurance for their belongings.

If the property is furnished, you should take out full contents insurance, which may have to offer more than twice the amount of cover than for an unfurnished property. “You are only insuring your own contents, however – the tenants must still insure their own possessions,” points out Malcolm Harrison.

Were you to take out a standard home insurance policy for a let property, there would probably be a larger excess – often not the case for buildings cover – or you may not be insured at all so find this out. The 30-day limit is also likely to apply to periods of vacancy and you may not have the choice of paying a higher premium for accidental damage cover as you would as an owner-occupier.

Landlord Insurance
Buy to Let News
Buy To Let Landlords Plan to expand - A survey of landlords carried out by a Buy To Let Property...