Landlord Insurance, otherwise referred to as ‘Buy-to-let insurance’, is there to protect the landlord’s property investment.

Income is king for any buy to let investor, so protecting it against disaster with landlord insurance is vital.

It is important to know that mainstream home insurance policies will not protect any income you make from your buy to let property, so it makes good financial sense to take out a landlord insurance policy to protect against cash-flow should catastrophe strike.

Landlord insurance is available to landlords with either one property or a significant portfolio.

There are a bewildering number of landlord insurance products on the market so ship around for a good deal.

As a rule of thumb, cover tens to fall into three types: landlord building insurance, landlord house insurance and landlord contents insurance.

While you are not legally obliged to take out landlord insurance, it makes sense to do so. Disasters are a fact of life and with an increase in the number of floods and strange weather patterns as a result of global warming – it is a mistake to overlook it and could cost you dear.

Most buy to let investors cite their property investment as the largest financial outlay of their life – so like all valuable investments it’s critical to have good landlord insurance in place.

Should the worst happen you could be left penniless and in high state of stress. Your livelihood, finances and even your health could be placed in jeopardy.

With a good quality landlord insurance policy in place, your asset is covered for risks, such as fire, flood and water damage, smoke, theft and damage caused by vandalism.

Landlord insurance will also cover you against expensive liability law suits made against you by a tenant or visitor being injured on your property and suing you for damages.

Landlord insurance is not only designed for professional landlords, it is there to protect people who for whatever reason are letting out their home. Whilst you may have a perfectly acceptable traditional household insurance in place, don’t simply assume your tenants are covered within this policy. It is better to be safe than sorry - speak to you insurer and establish what is cover and what is not.

The amount of landlord insurance you buy should depend on your personal circumstances and the type of property you are renting out.

Most landlord insurance protects against fire, lightning, explosion, storm, earthquake, flood, subsidence, property owners liability, riot, escape of water, falling trees, theft, malicious damage, ground heave and land slip.

Buildings Insurance is designed to cover damage to your property. For example, a fire forces your tenants live elsewhere while you make good the property. It is also possible to cover up to 30% of the value of your property against loss of rental earnings as a result of damage.

Public liability protects against claims made by a third person who has sustained an injury in your property. For example, a window smashes injuring a passer-by.

There are also numerous extras you can incorporate into your landlord insurance to give you additional peace of mind, these include:

Landlord’s Contents Insurance
Covers fixtures and fittings, furniture, furnishings; utensils and domestic items.

Rent Receivable
Cover against loss of rental income if your property is damaged plus expenses.

Personal Accident:
Benefits paid to dependents if you die.

Terrorism Insurance
Ideal for City centre properties

Building insurance
Covers large building repairs after a catastrophe strikes.

Accidental damage
Covers against accidental damage caused by your tenant and pays out for repair or replacement.

Cover between tenants
Protects your property from periods of time it stands un-let and, malicious damage and squatters.

Loss of income cover
Pays out for void periods and when tenants fail to pay.

Landlord Insurance
Buy to Let News
Buy To Let Landlords Plan to expand - A survey of landlords carried out by a Buy To Let Property...